Thursday, December 18, 2008

Reach out to Queer Imprisoned Populations.

In early December we heard some extraordinary news! The NY Appeals Court reversed Venice Brown's conviction. You can read the entire decision here. Unfortunately for Venice and her family this means she’ll have to go through a new trial, just like Renata Hill, but the new trials for both women could mean positive things. To find out more about what’s going on go to the Free NJ4 blog.

For Patreese Johnson the NY Appeals Court ruled that her trial had tried her fairly and affirmed her conviction, although they did reduce her sentence from 13 to 8 years. If you want to keep her spirits up, feel free to send her cards and care packages. I know how this is not an economically stable time for anyone, but sending a letter or a note can be a lifeline:

Patreese Johnson
#07-G-0635
Bedford Hills Correctional Facility
P.O. Box 1000
Bedford Hills, NY 10507


I’ve been writing a lot about the women known as the New Jersey 4 on my blog, and I don’t mean to imply that these women are the only queer folks of color worth fighting for – I realize that for every public case like NJ4 (which really isn't even all that public) there are women, men and gender non-conforming folks who suffer alone. I hope to use this blog to shine more light on the experiences of folks incarcerated in the criminal justice system, and I will try to do so whenever possible. To find out more about queer folks in prison visit the Sylvia Rivera Law Project or Black & Pink.

Also, check out SRLP’s amazing publication It’s War in Here.

4 comments:

Queers United said...

I never heard of black and pink thank you, I am going to check it out.

Mik Danger said...

Absolutely! I'm glad to provide more resources! Thanks for reading :)

Anonymous said...

You are definitely right

Gillian said...

Hey, there is a great deal of effective info above!