Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Images of Epilepsy in Literature: Oct 16 in NYC!!

Just yesterday I saw that I had received an amazing e-mail from the Disabilities Network of New York City regarding an upcoming event. This event looks brilliant - and I am very personally honored that I would get this e-mail. This looks like a really unique chance to discuss the intersections of disability especially disability representations, which I know are the chagrin of so many people. Race, gender, religion, and sexuality will be discussed in connection at this lecture, and if you check out the link below you'll see that Dr. Ozer has written some pretty amazing stuff and she's been a big contributor to the Disabilities Network's work. I think it is a brilliant example of the kind of events we should be supporting with our presence! I hope to see lots of people there - don't worry I'll be reminding people throughout the week!

Also, for ASL Interpretation or other accommodations see the bottom of the event description.

Images of Epilepsy in Literature

Thursday, October 16, 2008
6-8PM
VISIONS @ Selis Manor
135 West 23rd Street (between 6th & 7th Avenues)
RSVP to ernesto@dnnyc.net or at 212/284-4160

People with epilepsy appear in literature as far back as the Bible and other early works. These writings reveal the most deeply ingrained negative stereotypes and idealized myths about people with epilepsy, from the violent, frothing epileptic possessed by the devil to the ethereal visionary.

Join the Disabilities Network and Dr. Irma Jacqueline Ozer in a discussion about what these images say about societal perceptions of epilepsy and other disabilities, and how they are changing.

Dr. Ozer has published nationally and internationally on disability in law and literature, specializing in epilepsy. As a Ph.D. in German literature, she wrote her thesis on mental illness in the work of female fiction writers.

*****Space limited! RSVP to ernesto@dnnyc.net or at 212/284-4160. Don't miss out!

*****ASL and other accommodations available upon request. Requests must be made by October 9 to ernesto@dnnyc.org
or at 212/284-4160.

1 comment:

Zolmes said...

Hey Mik! It's Zoe, who reads your blog like a stalker, because I think it is awesome.

In any case, I bought some political-themes posters the other day and one of them is about ADAPT and I am thinking that you might dig it, so I would like to send it your way. Let me know.

And, more importantly, keep blogging. Your writing always makes me think and smile.