Wednesday, January 30, 2008

New Job, New Life

Well, I promised for a while that this post would be coming. Uninteresting as it is, here is a life update.

I moved to Brooklyn at the end of December to live with my amazing partner and to find a job that was...well better paying than waiting tables and more fullfilling than working for a non-profit I don't believe in. So now I am working for GLAAD as their Transgender Advocacy Fellow. None of my posts, either past or present, reflect any of GLAAD's positions or views but mine alone. There, I said it. I am speaking for myself alone on this website.

The job is pretty amazing, I go in every day very excited which is a nice change from my former server job where I dreaded every day. I don't always agree with GLAAD, but I agree with their spirit that fair and equal coverage of LGBT peoples promotes better understanding and acceptance and leads to changes in law and medicine that protect our rights. There is some truly amazing work being done at GLAAD and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Speaking of which, one of my new jobs is to pitch a series of stories that GLAAD would like to see covered in both mainstream and LGBT press this coming year. I was thinking stories along the lines of the invisibility of transgender people of color (especially men) in mainstream press (i.e. the article would touch on racial and class-based issues as well as issues of transitioning highlighting how and why these men and women get left out of news stories), how to use gender-neutral pronouns and their history (more of a human-interest story), how ENDA affects everyone through its use of "gender identity"...i had a list but I left it at work. So, even though very few people comment on my blog I want to know what transgender interest stories you'd like to see...comment below!

4 comments:

WordK said...

Congrats on the new job and new environment!

All of three of the ideas for articles you suggested sound fascinating to me -- the first one even as a series of articles (well, I could see that becoming a book length work, but that doesn't seem to be what you're looking for.) I'm drawing a blank at brain-storming anything else at the moment, but those are all good.

Good luck!

C.J.B. said...

Nice to see a Mac WGSS alum doing well, gives me hope for the future. How about something about transgender people outside of the US. There are people who self identify as transgender in other nations. I dont know if this is something GLAAD would handle (and probably it would go over better in LGBT oriented press) but I would be interested in seeing someone do research on the international trans community and the issues surrounding it.

Samantha said...

Hmmm. I don't have much for ideas right now . . . I like the idea about gender neutral pronouns and also the above commenter's about transgender outside the US.

Mik Danger said...

Yeah, thank you so much for all the suggestions!

I was thinking about gender variance outside the US recently when trying to discuss how to change words in international news. For instance what's OK to say in some countries is considered unacceptable here. 'd be interesting and challenging to try and translate different historical, cultural, religious experiences of gender.